Saturday, March 14, 2009

Keeping Busy

After a long time, I am getting back to my blog. I took a little tumble down a flight of stairs and fortunately didn't break a thing. But I hurt my back where I bounced on the stair treads. My black eye is about gone and the rug burns are healing. I have learned my lesson to never walk anywhere in the dark!
On Tues. I hosted my little guild group here to work on a darling quilt for a charity auction being held in May. We will have it done well before that. I might send a picture of it on the design wall but it is just a rough layout of it. At least you will get a general idea of it. I will post when it is completed which should be next week.
My dear friend Karen and I worked on a quilt which we started several years ago. We often do the same thing as our tastes are so similar. She got one of her blocks completed and posted it on her blog. The reaction of some who saw it was that our color choices were too close in value, and the alternating large blocks weren't right. So who knows what we will do next.
I have finished wet cleaning, conserving, bordering and binding a quilt for a friend who is presenting it to her engaged daughter. The top is circa 1930 and is an example of how women then used whatever they had to create quilts for their families to use. So there are lots of different weights and types of fabrics in the top. A friend, Cathy has a long arm and I asked her to quilt it in Baptist fan pattern as that is the faith of the family! Another friend Velma, made a wonderful embroidered label for the back with the history of the quilt etc. I really love to see old quilts preserved for continued love and admiration.
This is a picture of a new acquisition of an older quilt from the circa 1920-30s. I really love it on my wall so I can view it often during the day. It is on an interior wall which never gets any direct light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn, don't you ever do that again, walk from the stairs in the dark!!! Otherwise we won't see eachother in Houston!!! I love your charity quilt. It is so bright and happy.

And please, tell more about treating old quilts, and how you get them. It is so much fun to learn all that from you.

Hope to see you in October,
Annemart